Friday, November 23, 2007

Baked Mack n Cheez

I don't use measurements in too many recipes, I wing it and see how it turns out. With baking (cookies, cakes and such) I do use measurements, so you will have to "play" with the recipes to get them to suit your taste......

1 lb. any elbow pasta*
1 block sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag shredded monterey & colby jack cheese**
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup of milk ***this is a "guess"timate***
1/2 stick of butter***
4 slices of American cheese****
black pepper


I use all different size pans depending on how much I need. For just me and my daugher I use a 2 quart casserole dish.

Cook pasta to box directions, al-dente, do not rinse the pasta. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put drained pasta in large mixing bowl with butter, black pepper and milk. Mix together till butter is melted.

Pour a layer of the mixed pasta into casserole dish and cover with layer of the cheeses. (cut up the block of cheddar and I break up the American). Then a layer of pasta again, and then the cheese and keep layering up till the casserole dish is full. I do not cover while baking. I cook in the oven at least 20-25 minutes till the top of the cheese is melted and the corners are turning a golden brown.....

*I prefer using either generic elbows for the pasta or Barilla elbows....you can use whatever you like.

**I use all different types of cheeses here. You can substitute or remove for taste. I sometimes use a Mexican or Italian mix for the cheese.

***I use "I Can't Believe Its Not Butter" or "Land O Lakes" butter.....again if you like margarine better use that.

****The American cheese is optional.

Enjoy

No comments: