Saturday, December 1, 2007

Thankful for Grace

In the spirit of this holiday season I have noticed that many people are really stressed out. This is the time of year for it. Do you know that the statistics for suicide and attempted suicide is at its highest at this time of year? Depression, anxiety, heart attacks, overdoses, alcohol related incidents--up at this time of year? Yes, sad to say that the time of year that should be reminding of us of Him, well, the world has commercialized it, put it in a place of no direction and have to buy it...bills are not paid, people go in debt, families fight, travel plans hindered, Christmas card lists, pies and cookies.......Have to buy this for them, have to buy that for her....have to have to have to.....ahhhh for those of us who know Him....yes Him....Just to sit in His grace at all times makes this time of year much less stressful.....My daughter does not get many gifts, I do not buy for anyone but her (not because I am some kind of grinch) but because I can not afford to buy for my entire family and I can not buy for one and not the other--so let's keep it simple. My bills are paid in the monthly budget as always....my credit card is not overcharge.....I do enjoy cooking--so I will have some parties and hand out meals and goodies...the point of this holiday is HIM. And His Grace is sufficient for us during all times....we should not be stressing ourselves out over this commercialization....I know families who do not buy no more than one gift for their children--not because they are poor, but, because of the true meaning of this holiday season. This is the time of year to look up, remember God came into the world---for you, for me, for us--to save us from our sins, certain death....to restore the relationship between us and Him and to show us He is tangible and available and with us wherever we go.....His Grace, I am very thankful for His Grace.

But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly in my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Don't give in or give up....keep the holiday season for what it is....don't become a statistic by being depressed, stressed, broke....Keep it all lined up with HIM.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Lil: what a GREAT post!! I love it!
I was feeling so stressed on friday...mainly because of stuff at work. But....today was a new day...and I love how you said you only buy for your daughter. We just buy gifts for each other and the grandparents. It has made life easier. this year I said each kid was just getting a certain number and I have stuck to it pretty much. Way less stress. Head over to my post on our dec.6 tradition if you'd like. It is about how we are teaching the kids about no santa.