Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hungry

Last night at the ministry went great. I spoke with Brenda {Pastor Dave's wife} & she said in children alone was 110 heads. There was turkey w/gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, cranberry sauce, bread, baked beans watermelon,grapes....there were a couple more adults to volunteer. There was beading go on with the kids, that is where Nonny & my friend Brezo jumped in. I got to serve corn & baked beans. The food was great, everything was homemade.

I forgot my camera--it was raining on & off so it was held inside Pastor Dave's church CORE. I am hoping they get more adult volunteers. I hope some people from my church want to jump in & help out.

There were some elderly, homeless.....some of them came for seconds. There was a small group of children who touched my heart there, 4 of them. They come every time there is food and they must come up 3 or 4 times for full plates. We don't know their story--yet, but, Jesus does. We thought at first they might be dropping it or throwing it away or something--so one of the ladies followed them to see what was going on--they were eating all of it. Not only that, but, there were other children that would be getting up to throw their plates away & they would tell them they would take it & they would eat that too.............The community leaders, they need to see that...there are your hungry children--the children they say don't exist. They are little one's too....

We know right now that this ministry will be going on every Monday, Wednesday & Friday all summer--don't know what is happening in the Fall right yet. Pastor Dave also feeds them breakfast on Sundays and then lunch after service, that gets done all year.

They also have a bookbag ministry, where they hand out school supplies to all the children that have a need. They need everything...everything. There are not very many donations for them this year.

It's early in the morning right before I have to start work. I know there is so much more I want to say about this......I hope I remember my camera next time, which is Wednesday.

3 comments:

Faith said...

If you can get me the contact info our Youth Group (we have over 115 active teens in jr/sr high) could perhaps do a Service Project one month with this group you mention here. I know we (as a church) already do the bookbag thing...I think last year was the first school year we did that. Let me know...life::redefined is an extremely active youth group with a heart towards serving and evangelizing...I'll pass this on if you can get me specifics.
God bless you Lill!

Lill said...

Hi Faith! Thank you! I will shoot Pastor Dave an email & get the numbers & such he wants to be contacted at I will put it on your blog! How blessed!

Dave Lewis said...

Lill,

You have a great gift for writing and blogging. I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm not just saying that because you wrote about me. The purpose of blogging is kind of like an online journal to share your thoughts with the world, and you get it! Your posts are encouraging and uplifting. I read a lot of blogs, and they are mostly the same old stuff. But yours has a personal touch that I can see and feel.

Keep it up sister!