Monday, July 21, 2008

What Hungry Children?

Tonight is Monday and it is time for the Feed A Kid Ministry I told you about before, under "Pastor Dave" in my blogging friends list.

I sent a couple of emails to 2 of our Elders and found out that our Senior Elder will be meeting with Pastor Dave this Tuesday to discuss this ministry and a few others and also some long term suggestions.....I am so excited about this---there are already 3 churches involved and now my home church! Jesus is taking over.

Pastor Dave has shared that he has received some resistance from community leaders...they want him to take it inside the church. I told him, well, you know why that is don't you? Because once Jesus takes over the streets, they don't have that title anymore....they have had the opportunity for YEARS to find ways to get the children off the streets, away from gangs, drugs & prostitution, to get guns off the street, to become a part of their lives---and now there is a Bible based church & churches that are doing what the Lord called us to do---and they are a little resistant? hm.....yeah.

Tonight on the menu is supposed to be hot open faced turkey sandwiches {yummy}...I hope some of the people let me take some pics to share with you. Because it has been raining so much here, the ministry might have to be inside tonight. All the news coverage they received the first night has led to much bigger responses. Some community leaders do not believe there are hungry children here---well, I can remember being without work and depending on our government to help me and my daughter and we were at food pantries & soup kitchens and we would not have got through the months without them---AND there are times when we still need them....so if me, a full time working person who makes "okay" money to the US standards, needs help here and there---what about those on the "slim line"??? More children.....how about those children who are not on their parent's priority list?? What about them?? Do we say "NO, your Mom has a job, your Dad gets food stamps" .....

No, we do what Jesus would do.....we preach the gospel. Part of preaching the gospel is doing what He would do if He were here in human form walking the streets......He would be there, right in the midst of the chaos, the drugs, prostitution, gangs...homeless, destitute, pushed aside, walked over....yes that is where He would be.....maybe some of those community leaders have not been exposed to the truth---the truth on the streets & the Truth of our Saviour.....if they did, they would be there, handing out plates, washing dishes, changing the garbage, standing in the trenches, loving them anyway---doing it all for Him........washing feet, yes, that's would they would be doing.

Sometimes people are afraid of the truth, whatever it may be....especially if it is foreign to them...they have never lived it. They have never been addicted to a drug, felt unloved, hungry or been without a home---kind of makes you feel sad for them too--because they are caught up in the same lie as those they claim to be leading.

I know the Lord pricks my heart right there---right in the heart of all the chaos---it's like He calls me---over here Lillian--over there---him right there Lillian--her over there....it's this filling up that makes you want to explode!!! And until you do it ---it fills and fills till it is brimming and bursting ----

Have you ever sat down and had a conversation with someone nobody else "sees"? Laid hands on someone nobody else considers "clean"? Talked to a child whose Mom is home sleeping off a hang over? A little girl whose father is in prison? A prostitute that everybody spits on? An elderly man whose life partner passed away and the family is too busy to see him? A single Mom with 5 kids who works hard and still no getting ahead? Someone who just needed a hug? A smile? A kind word? If you have not....you should come down to this ministry.....come and see what the Lord is doing there. People are coming together....these people who have never even been given a second thought to are being reached out to by Jesus....He calls me there....Come over here Lillian, I am here, in the midst of the chaos.....I am the Calm here, the Calm in the storm....

"Preach the gospel at all times and when necessary use words." I don't remember exactly who said it, it sits at the bottom of the stairs when you come out of our church's sanctuary to enter the fellowship hall---it always struck me---and it is appropriate right now...................

I am grateful that He pricks my heart there and for other outreaches and missions---I just get my socks blessed right off................

1 comment:

Dave Lewis said...

It was Saint Francis of Asissi who said that famous quote.

Great post, BTW